Wednesday, February 25, 2015

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop created by Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk to help writers connect and encourage each other. Want to join in? YOU TOTALLY SHOULD! Head over to Jaime and Erin's blogs to find out more :)


WHAT I'M READING: My New Adult obsession continues and I just read the first three books of The Ivy Years series by Sarina Bowen. AMAZING. Highly recommended.

WHAT I'M WRITING: I finished another round of revisions. This was challenging as the whole point of the revision was to really cement my MG voice and all I wanted to do was read about smexy hockey players and talk about abs. 

Must. Eschew. Abs.

WRITING GOAL: Finish outlining my new project. 

WHAT WORKS FOR ME: I really love making outlines, especially in Scrivener when I can use the corkboard and create index cards for each scene. 

Outlining is exciting because I can SEE the WHOLE BOOK and I fall in love with the characters and it all seems easy and obvious and like I will probably be able to knock the whole thing out in a week or two. Then I start the actual drafting and remember that this whole writing thing is actually really hard work :)

WHAT ELSE IS NEW: We have had lots of family visits this summer (only two weeks on our own since the end of November). It was nice to see them, but I cannot deny that I am looking forward to having more time to myself for writing and reading and just sitting around in slobby clothes and not talking about the weather or my great aunt's ex-boyfriends or what our old neighbor who I don't even remember is up to these days. 

Mostly I just want to wear my jammies until noon and eat peanut butter and jelly for dinner if I damn well feel like it. And now I can.

Happy days :)

What's up with you?


15 comments:

  1. Some time to yourself after so much hosting sounds very nice indeed. And good luck with the outlining ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you. Families are wonderful, but being an adult is all about being able to wear your pyjamas for days at a time if the mood takes you!

    Well done on your revisions, and enjoy that time to yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing another round of revisions! That's always a great feeling :) I adore outline too, and love that model in Scrivener.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoving out a 1st draft (a decent one) in two weeks would be so awesome! A dream. Family time with relatives is nice but only in certain amounts. They don't like pyjamas? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smexy hockey players and abs??? Sounds fantastic! Good luck with the outline. One of these days I'm going to learn how to use Scrivener and actually give it a real try. Have a great week, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your reference to summer puzzled me for a moment, I take it you are in the Southern hemisphere! Very cool! But the reference to being in jammies and eating peanut butter and jelly... got that right away, 'specially since I'm in my jammies right now and craving peanut butter! Will go take a PB break now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who wouldn't want to read about smexy hockey players and their abs?! I definitely need to get some NA reading in! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Scrivener. It's so great for outlining and planning! But even though I outline, I definitely couldn't knock out a draft in only a couple of weeks. Best of luck outlining your new project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Family visits can be overwhelming and fun, but it is definitely nice when you have some downtime for yourself. Congrats on getting revisions done. I never used to outline, but I've recently discovered how helpful it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I misread that as "Must. Chew. Abs." Which, kind of opposite, but yum!

    I love Scrivener. Same reasons. And many others.

    Enjoy the jammie time! You've earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uh, hello, smexy hockey players? A big yes on that. Being Canadian, I feel a certain obligation to read and write about smexy hockey players. Totally understand the distraction lol. Nicely done on finishing a round of revisions! And good luck with the outlining this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on finishing your revisions! Awesome! And good luck with your writing goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel the same way about a shiny new outline. You look at it and think "piece of cake!", and then drafting begins...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on getting those revisions knocked out. Good luck on the new project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hah! We had house guests all week last week and let me just say, I Feel Your Pain. I too have zero interest in where their dentist lived in 1974 and what his ex-wife did that was so scandalous and I have no idea on how you can have a 2 hour conversation about cocktail toothpicks?!!

    Anyhoodle, hope you are enjoying your much-deserved "me time" in your sloppy clothes. I'm opting for waffles in bed whilst writing in my yoga pants. ;)

    And kickstarter time machine...Hellz to the Yes!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?